1 x 250 g packet of Digestive biscuits (McVitie’s best)
60 g Butter
340 g Castor sugar
40 g Plain flour
6 x Eggs, medium, separated
284 ml Double cream
142 ml Sour cream / creme fraiche
3 x 200 g packets Cream cheese (Philly)
Entered by Diana Zee on 10/01/2014
A family favourite which was first cooked in the African bush decades ago using my first Kenwood Chef which had cream making attachment as there was no cream available where we lived. It worked a treat.
Oven: Pre-heat the oven to 150°c
- Crush biscuits and add to melted butter.
- Press into greased 25 cm loose-based deep cake tin.
- Mix sugar, flour and egg yolks lightly, then add creams followed by cream cheese.
- Blend till smooth. Whisk egg whites to stiff peaks, and then fold gently into mixture.
- Pour into cake tin. Place in pre-heated oven and bake for 1 ½ hours.
- Allow to cool before removing from the cake tin. Cut when completely cold using a knife heated in hot water. Freezes well if there is any left or to make ahead!