Time: 2-3 hours (+1 day to leave mixture)
Makes 1 x large loaf (approx. 1kg)
Tools: k-beater bowl tool / dough hook bowl tool / baking sheet (lined)
- To make the sourdough starter fit the CHEF Titanium the K-Beater bowl tool and add all of the sourdough ingredients into a mixing bowl. Turn the machine on to a low speed and mix until well combined; smooth and thick like double cream.
- Put the mixture in a bowl, cover and leave overnight.
- The next day, change the K-Beater bowl tool on the CHEF Titanium to the dough hook. Add all of the bread ingredients into a mixing bowl and begin to mix on a low speed.
- Once the mixture starts to come together, turn the speed up to medium and knead for roughly 5 mins until the dough is elastic and smooth.
- Remove the bowl and make the dough into a ball. Cover with oiled cling film and put in a warm cupboard or proving drawer to prove for 30 mins.
- Once rested, knock the dough back into a smaller ball, replace the oiled cling film and return to a warm area for another 30 minutes.
- Once again, knock the proved dough back into a smaller ball, but this time on a lightly floured surface. Shape dough into a round loaf and a place on lined baking tray. Cover again and return to warm place for a further 30 minutes.
- Pre heat oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas 6
- Before you put the bread into the oven dust the top with a little flour and, with a sharp knife, make an ‘S’ shaped cut into the top of the loaf.
10. Bake for 45-50 mins or until golden brown. A good way to tell when the bread is ready is if a hollow sound is made when bottom of bread is tapped.
11. Leave to cool completely before cutting.