These light and airy muffins are topped with a dollop of lemon curd and a sprinkling of poppy seeds. So, not only do they taste far superior to any gluten free muffins you can buy, they look really pretty too.
- 60g polenta
- 170g gluten free plain white flour
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds plus extra for sprinkling
- 110g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp gluten free xanthan gum
- ½ tsp gluten free bicarbonate of soda
- 1½ tsp gluten free baking powder
- 2 lemons
- 3 medium eggs
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 100ml semi-skimmed milk
- 2 tsp icing sugar
- 6 teaspoons lemon curd
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases.
- Place the polenta, flour, poppy seeds, caster sugar, xanthan gum, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and lemon zest from the 2 lemons, in the Kenwood Chef bowl fitted with the K beater. Add the juice from 1 lemon, eggs, oil and milk to the bowl. Mix on a low speed until all the ingredients are just mixed, then scrape down any mixture from the sides of the bowl. Mix on a medium speed for 1-2 minutes until well combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cases and bake for 12-15 minutes until risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Dust each muffin with sieved icing sugar and top with ½ teaspoon of lemon curd. Sprinkle over the remaining poppy seeds, to serve.
Find more Afternoon Tea and Picnic Recipes