|Serves: 6 || Recipe course: Dessert ||Total time (min.): 1 hour 10 |
An elegant chilled dessert with a coffee twist.
- 45ml/ 3tbsp (60ml/ 4tbsp) finely ground fresh italian coffee
- 150ml/ 5fl oz (230ml 8fl oz) boiling water
- 3 (4) egg yolks
- 65g/ 2 1/2oz (115g/ 4oz) light brown muscovado sugar
- 150ml/ 1/4 pint (200ml/ 7fl oz) milk
- 150ml/ 1/4 pint (200ml/ 7fl oz) double cream
- 40g/ 1 1/2oz (50g/ 2oz) plain chocolate, grated or finely chopped
- whipped cream and chocolate curls optional
- cocoa powder, to dust
Put the coffee in a cafetiere, pour over the boiling water and leave to infuse for a few minutes, then strain. Meanwhile whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl. Place the milk in a saucepan and heat until almost boiling, then whisk into the egg mixture with the strained coffee.
Return to the pan and cook over a gentle heat, stirring continuously, until slightly thickend but do not boil. Remove from the heat, transfer to a bowl and leave to cool. Stir in the cream and chill.
Fit the frozen bowl into the dessert maker and swich on. Pour in the coffee custard and churn until it resembles freshly whipped cream. Stir in the grated chocolate and spoon into small coffee cups.
Freeze for about 30 minutes, until softly frozen. Top with whipped cream and chocolate curls if wished. Dust with cocoa powder and serve.