350g unsalted butter, softened
350g golden caster sugar
7 medium eggs
300g plain flour
3 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
100ml whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
50g cocoa powder
120ml espresso/strong coffee
50ml espresso/strong coffee
150g icing sugar
50g milk chocolate
Chopped hazelnuts or fresh raspberries to decorate (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180c (170c fan), grease the cake tin well and dust evenly with flour.
2. Fit the 7L bowl and creaming beater tool to the mixer.
3. Using the integrated weighing function, weigh the butter and golden caster sugar into the bowl. Mix on max speed and beat until light and fluffy. Add the salt.
4. Weigh in 50g of the flour and add the baking powder. Add one egg, mix on speed 4 until combined, continue this process until all the flour and eggs are added.
5. Remove approximately half the batter to the 5L bowl and set aside.
6. To the remaining batter add the milk and vanilla extract, mix on speed 2 until smooth.
7. Swap the 7L bowl for the 5L bowl. To the smaller bowl, add the espresso and sieve in the cocoa powder using the weighing function. Mix on speed 4 until combined.
8. Fill the cake tin adding a spoonful of each batter at a time alternating the colours. Once filled drag a skewer through the mixture to create a marble effect.
9. Put in the middle of the oven and bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
10. While the cake is cooking, make the glaze. Melt the milk chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments, being careful not to burn it. Allow to cool.
11. Clean the 5L bowl and attach to the mixer, along with the whisk tool. Using the weighing function, weigh the icing sugar into the bowl, add the espresso and start the machine on speed 1 Once smooth, add the cooled melted chocolate and whisk on speed 4 to combine.
12. Once the cake is cooked, leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before carefully turning out onto a cooling rack. Leave to fully cool before drizzling over the glaze.
13. Top with chopped hazelnuts for added crunch or fresh raspberries for a splash of colour.
All recipes | Cake recipes | Chocolate recipes | Italian recipes