4 large chicken breasts dice and coated in plain flour
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 large carrot peeled and grated
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 large green pepper deseeded and cut into small chunks
1 small can of pineapple and juice
1 dessertspoon sugar
1-2 dessertspoon soy sauce
3 dessertspoon malt vinegar
½ pint chicken stock
1 tbsp Cornflour mixed to a runny paste with a little water
Pack of bean sprouts
300g Brown rice, raw
2 dessertspoon flaked almonds, toasted
Extra Soy Sauce for on the table
Entered by Anna Gleave on 07/11/2013
The sauce can be made well ahead and can even be frozen. This has been in our family for many years and people of all ages seem to like it and we always get asked for a copy. My son is now at university and makes it for his friends who now make it for their families in the holidays.
- Cook the brown rice according to instructions on the packet (usually 25 minutes but it varies across brands)
- Meanwhile fry the onion and pepper in ½ tbsp. oil for minute or two.
- Add carrot, stock, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, pineapple juice and pineapple and simmer for 6-10 minutes. Add the cornflour and gently boil stirring all the time until the sauce has thickened.
- Fry the chicken in the remaining oil until cooked through
- In a wok fry the beansprouts
- Serve the meal and top with almonds, add extra soy sauce to taste