|Makes: 1 x 500g loaf - 16 slices
|Total time (min.): 3 to 4 hours
A Swiss bread known for its soft, braided texture and subtly sweet flavour.
- 185ml sour cream
- 56g butter
- 385g plain flour
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 11/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs (reserve 1 yolk for glaze)
- 1 egg yolk
- 15ml water
- poppy seeds or sesame seeds to decorate (optional)
- Titanium Chef
- Dough hook bowl tool
- Large baking tray (greased)
- Warm the sour cream to just warm in microwave or over low heat in pan. Add the butter and stir until melted.
- Fit the CHEF Titanium with the dough hook, then add the flour, yeast and salt to the mixing bowl. Mix on a low speed until combined then add the sour cream mixture.
- Lightly whisk an egg and one egg white in a separate bowl before adding to the mixing bowl. Combine until the mixture comes together and stop the machine before the mix has formed a singular large dough ball. Leave the bread mixture to sit and rest for 15 minutes.
- Once it has rested turn the machine back on to a low speed for about 3-5 minutes and let the dough hook knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. Turn the dough out into a greased bowl, cover with oiled cling film and put in a warm cupboard or proving drawer for 1.5 to 2hours, until it has doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased surface and knead it gently a few times. Divide it into 3 equal pieces and roll each piece into a 45cm/18inch length. Braid the lengths, pinch and tuck each end underneath. Place onto lightly greased baking tray, cover again with oiled cling film and put back in warm place for 45-50 mins to rise.
- Pre heat oven to 190°C / 375°F / Gas 5
- Whisk the yolk and water together to make the glaze, then brush over the bread. Sprinkle loaf with seeds and put in middle of oven for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown and shiny.
- Move to cool on the baking tray for 10 minutes before transferring it on a cooling rack to cool completely.