S'mores Doughnut Recipe
|Serves: 6-12 people||Recipe course:
Cakes||Total time (min.): 135||Complexity (1 to 3): 2|
Ridiculously chocolate-ly, gooey doughnuts to die for. What else is there to be said?
- Sugar thermometer
- Domestic blow torch
- Small saucepan
- Medium bowl x3
- Frying pan, large
- Spiral Dough Tool
7g dried yeast
A pinch of salt
Oil (as needed)
150g dark chocolate (2cm cubes)
150g unsalted butter
120g biscuit crumbs (from crushed speculoos biscuits/digestives/shortbread etc)
100g caster sugar
2 egg whites
- Add the milk and butter into a small saucepan.
- Heat gently until the butter has melted then remove from the heat.
- Attach the mixer bowl and fit the spiral dough tool to the machine.
- Allow the contents of the saucepan to cool slightly, then add it to the mixer bowl.
- Add the 80g sugar and yeast into the mixer bowl.
- Start the machine on speed 1 for 2 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to rest for a few more minutes, once the yeast starts to look frothy on the surface of the liquid continue to the next stage.
- Add flour, salt and 2 eggs into the mixer bowl.
- Start the machine on Speed 1 for 10 minutes.
- Lightly oil a medium mixing bowl and transfer the dough into it.
- Cover and allow to prove in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Once the dough has doubled in size transfer onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces, approx. 80g each.
- Roll the dough into balls and press down gently.
- Allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Line a plate with paper towels and set aside.
- Add the oil into the frying pan.
- Heat the frying pan to 180ºC
- Working in batches, carefully transfer a few of the doughnuts from the work surface into the frying pan.
- Fry each side of doughnuts for about 3 minutes until golden- reduce the heat if the doughnuts turn brown too quickly.
- Remove the cooked doughnuts from the pan and transfer to the paper towel lined plate.
- Repeat this process with the remaining dough.
- Add chocolate, unsalted butter into a heatproof bowl then place the bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water. Stir slowly and continuously as both ingredients are melting.
- Once the ingredients are melted and well combined, remove from the heat.
- Dip each of the doughnuts into the chocolate glaze, then transfer to a wire rack placed over a large tray- to catch any excess glaze.
- Sprinkle the remaining biscuit crumb over the glazed doughnuts.
- Retrieve and clean the mixer bowl, fit the whisk.
- Add the first two items of sugar, water, into a small saucepan, place over a low heat.
- Meanwhile add the remaining egg whites, into the mixer bowl.
- Start the machine on speed 4 for 1 minute, until the egg whites start to foam, then stop the machine.
- Heat the sugar syrup until it reaches 121°C on a sugar thermometer
- Start the machine on speed 5 then *slowly pour the sugar syrup into the egg whites whilst whisking.
- Once sugar has been added, increase to speed 6 for 3 minutes.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag fitted with an open star nozzle.
- Pipe a swirl of meringue on top of each doughnut.
- Use a domestic blow torch to finish the meringue topping.
*Tip: When pouring the hot sugar into the egg whites, keep the stream of liquid as close to the side of the bowl as possible; this will stop it splashing and allows the syrup to cool slightly before it hits the egg white
More like this
Cake recipes | All recipes | Chocolate recipes