Water 1000 grams
Sugar 400 grams
Muscovado sugar 100 grams
Instant coffee 2 Tbsp.
Juice of amaretto 1 Tbsp
Vanilla extract 1 Tsp
Conference pears 4
Butter 125 grams
Icing sugar 125 grams
Salt 1 tsp
Plain flour 250 grams
Vanilla extract 1/2 tsp
Dark chocolate 150 grams
Butter 200 grams
Sugar 200 grams
Ground almonds 160 grams
Cocoa powder 30 grams
Eggs 3 beaten
Plain flour 60 grams
Apricot jam 2 Tbsp
Warm hazelnuts 30 grams
Chocolate shavings as needed
Prep. (Before you begin)
1. Peel and destem the pears.
2. Cut the butter into cubes and leave at room temperature to soften.
3. Break up the dark chocolate.
4. Halve and toast the hazelnuts.
1. Lift the Chef Patissier XL head and fit the heat shield.
2. Grease the tart tin.
1. Add the first 7 items of Ingredients 1 (water, sugar, muscovado sugar, coffee, lemon juice, amaretto, vanilla) into the saucepan.
2. Heat over a medium heat and bring to the boil.
3. Stir well until the sugar has dissolved.
4. Reduce the heat to a medium-low heat until simmering.
5. Carefully add the last item of Ingredients 1 (pears) into the saucepan.
6. Simmer for about 20 minutes over a medium-low heat until tender.
7. Line a clean plate with paper towels.
8. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the pears to cool in the syrup.
9. Once cooled, remove the pears from the syrup and allow to drain on the paper towel plate.
10. Stage 2 Attach the EasyWarm bowl to the machine and fit the K beater.
11. Add the first 4 items of Ingredients 2 (butter, sugar, salt, flour) into the EasyWarm bowl, fit the splash guard.
12. Mix on speed Stir 1 for about 2 minutes.
13. With the machine running, add the rest of Ingredients 2 (egg, vanilla) to the bowl.
14. Mix on speed Stir 1 for about 1 minute or until the mixture comes together.
15. Transfer the pastry to a lightly floured worksurface.
16. Knead together.
17. Wrap in plastic wrap.
18. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
19. Transfer the pastry to a lightly floured worksurface.
20. Gently knead the dough until soft and pliable.
21. Roll out into a circle, about 30 cm (12”) round.
22. Move and lift the pastry regularly to prevent sticking.
23. Transfer the pastry to the tart tin, lining until covered.
24. Press the pastry firmly into the edges.
25. Trim the excess pastry from around the edges and prick the base with a fork.
26. Place the tart tin onto the large baking tray.
27. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
28. Pre heat the oven to 190ºC.
29. Remove the tart tin from the fridge.
30. Line the tart tin with parchment paper and fill with baking beans.
31. Bake for 15 minutes at 190ºC.
32. Remove the tart tin from the oven, remove the baking beans and parchment paper.
33. Reduce the oven temperature to 180ºC.
34. Bake for 5 minutes at 180ºC or until cooked through.
35. Set aside.
1. Retrieve, clean the EasyWarm bowl and fit the Creaming beater.
2. Attach the EasyWarm bowl to the machine.
3. Add Ingredients 3 (chocolate) into the EasyWarm bowl, fit the splash guard.
4. Mix on heat setting 7, on speed Stir 1 for about 10 minutes or until melted.
5. Remove the EasyWarm bowl from the machine and set aside.
6. Stage 4 Attach the Mixer bowl to the machine and fit the K beater.
7. Add the first 2 items of Ingredients 4 (butter, sugar) into the Mixer bowl, fit the splash guard.
8. Mix on speed 4 for about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
9. Add the rest of Ingredients 4 (almonds, cocoa, eggs, flour) to the bowl.
10. Transfer the chocolate mixture to the Mixer bowl.
11. Mix on speed 4 until combined.
1. Pre heat the oven to 180ºC.
2. Cut each pear in half lengthwise, use a spoon to remove the central core and seeds.
3. Turn a pear over, cut slices down the length of the pear leaving the narrow end uncut.
4. Spread the pear slices to form a fan shape.
5. Repeat this process with the rest of the pears.
6. Spoon contents of the Mixer bowl into the tart tin.
7. Position the pears on top of the mixture.
8. Bake for 30 minutes at 180°C.
9. Leave to cool in the tin.
10. Once cooled, remove the tart from the tin.
11. Brush the first item of Ingredients 5 (jam) in a thin layer over the tart.
12. Sprinkle the second item of Ingredients 5 (hazelnuts) over the tart.
13. Decorate the tart with the last item of Ingredients 5 (chocolate shavings).
All recipes | Tarts and pastry recipes | Chocolate recipes