Lemon Meringue Cupcakes Recipe
|Serves: Up to 12 people||Recipe course:
Dessert||Total time (min.): 30||Complexity (1 to 3): 1|
Zesty lemon meringue cupcakes are delicately flavoured and make the perfect tea time treat
Makes: 12 cupcakes
- To prepare, line your cupcake tin with cupcake cases. Preheat oven to 180°C
- Fit the K-beater to the Cooking Chef mixing bowl. Add the unsalted butter, caster sugar, eggs, self-raising flour and lemon zest to the mixing bowl.
- Select the Sponge Cake pre-set and adjust the time to 1 minute. Start mixing on speed 1 for 10 seconds, then slowly increase to speed 4 for the remaining 50 seconds.
- Scoop out the mixture evenly across the 12 cake cases.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until light golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- To make the lemon curd, fit a clean creaming beater to the machine.
- Add the sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, butter and egg yolks into the mixer bowl and attach the splash guard.
- Set the temperature to 60°C, stir speed 1 and mix for 5 minutes. Increase the temperature to 85°C, stir speed 1 and continue stirring for 10 minutes. Increase the temperature to 95°C, stir speed 1 and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Check the mixture has thickened. Transfer into a sterilised jar and allow to cool slightly then leave to set in the fridge.
- Once the cupcakes are fully cooled, add the lemon curd filling. Using a small, sharp knife, cut a small, deep circle into the centre of the cupcake, being careful not to go all the way through to the bottom.
- Spoon in half a teaspoon of your homemade lemon curd into each cupcake until level with the top of the cupcake. Repeat this process for the remaining cupcakes.
- For the meringue topping, add the egg whites, caster sugar and cornflour to the clean Cooking Chef mixing bowl.
- Attach the whisk tool and select the Italian Meringue pre-set, ensuring the splash guard is fitted.
- When the pre-set has finished, scoop the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a nozzle.
- Pipe the meringue mixture onto the top of the cupcakes. Using a Chef’s blowtorch or using a low setting on your grill, brown off the top of the cupcakes, watching very carefully to ensure they do not burn.
- The cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container for 3 days.
More Cupcake recipes