Vanilla Creole Ice Cream
|Serves: Up to 8 people || Recipe course: Dessert ||Total time (min.): 50 plus chilling and freezing|
- 600ml (1 pint) milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split or 5ml (1 tsp)
- Vanilla essence
- 4 egg yolks
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 200g (7oz) crème fraîche
- Balloon whisk
- Ice cream maker
- Pour the milk into a heavy based saucepan, add the vanilla pod, if using and slowly bring almost to
the boil. Remove from the heat and leave to infuse. If using vanilla essence just heat the milk then stir in
the vanilla essence. Remove vanilla pod.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in the Kenwood Bowl and using the Whisk, whisk together until thick
and creamy. Gradually whisk in the milk on minimum speed. Strain back into the pan.
- Cook over a low heat, stirring continuously, until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
Do not boil. Leave to cool then chill. Mix the vanilla custard and crème fraîche together.
- Place the Ice Cream Maker with the frozen bowl in position and switch to minimum speed. Pour the
liquid ice cream mix through the feed tube and churn until it resembles freshly whipped cream.
- Serve immediately or place in a plastic container and keep frozen, until required. Soften slightly in the
fridge or at room temperature, before serving.
CHOCOLATE CREOLE: Omit vanilla and add 225g (8oz) melted plain chocolate to the cooked custard.
FUDGE CREOLE: Reduce sugar to 50g (2oz). Melt 450g (1lb) fudge with 45ml (3 tbsp) milk over a low heat
and add to the cooked custard.