Herby Pancakes with Cream Cheese & Smoked Salmon
Delicious cream cheese & smoked salmon make this the perfect treat for any time of the day.
- 100g (4 oz) self - raising flour, sifted
- 3.5ml (¾ tsp) baking powder
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 15ml (1tbsp) fresh chopped
- mixed herbs, such as basil, thyme, parsley
- 100ml (3½ floz) milk
- olive oil, for cooking
- 25g (1 oz) mascarpone cheese
- 100g (4 oz) garlic and herb cream cheese
- 15ml (1tbsp) fresh snipped chives
- 15ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
- 5ml (1 tsp) ginger, garlic and chilli sauce
- 150g (5 oz) smoked salmon basil leaves and chopped tomato, to garnish
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the egg, seasoning, herbs and half the milk. Using the hand mixer beat on speed 1 for approx. 35 seconds, until well blended. Then with the mixer still running gradually add the remaining milk to create a thick cream consistency.
- Heat a heavy based frying pan or griddle and brush with oil. Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the pan, well spaced apart. Cook for approx. 3 minutes, until bubbles rise to the surface. Turn over and cook for approx 1 - 2 minutes, until golden. Repeat with remaining mixture to make 8 pancakes.
- Place the cheeses, seasoning, chives, lemon juice and chilli sauce in a bowl. Using the hand mixer beat on Speed 1 for approx. 20 seconds, until well combined.
- Spread the cheese mixture over the pancakes. Top with salmon and garnish scattered with chopped tomatoes and baby basil leaves.