- Kitchen Machines: Stand mixers (e.g. Titanium Patissier XL), or hand blenders
- Accessories and Attachments: K beater, creaming beater, whisk tool
|Serves: 10||Recipe course: Cakes||Total time (min.): 100||Complexity (1 to 3): 2|
White candy melts 340 grams
Edible food colouring dust as needed
Margarine 340 grams at room temperature
Caster sugar 340 grams
Eggs 5 beaten
Vanilla extract 2 tsp
Plain flour 340 grams
Baking powder 4 tsp
Salt 1 pinch
Unsalted butter 300 grams
Icing sugar 750 grams
Milk 2 Tbsp
Vanilla extract 1 tsp
Salt 1/4 tsp
Raspberry jam 1 Tbsp
Pink food colouring 1/4 tsp
Lemon curd 60 grams
Freeze dried raspberries 40 grams
Prep. (Before you begin)
1. Sift the plain flour.
2. Cut the butter into cubes and leave at room temperature to soften.
1. Lift the Chef Patissier XL head and fit the heat shield.
2. Fit the Creaming beater to the machine.
3. Grease the springform tins and line with parchment paper.
4. Place the silicone mat onto the baking tray.
1. Attach the EasyWarm bowl to the machine.
2. Add Ingredients 1 (candy melts) into the EasyWarm bowl, fit the splash guard.
3. Mix on heat setting 7, on speed Stir 1 for about 10 minutes or until melted.
4. Remove the Creaming beater from the machine, leave the bowl fitted.
5. Stage 2 Transfer 2 spoonful’s of the contents of the EasyWarm bowl into the small bowl.
6. Add Ingredients 2 (coloured dust) into the small bowl.
7. Stir well until combined.
8. Working quickly, use a right-angled spatula to spread ‘brushstroke’ shapes onto the silicone mat.
9. Repeat this process with other colours, leaving some white.
10. Reserve the leftover melted chocolate.
11. Leave at room temperature to set, until completely solid.
1. Pre heat the oven to 180ºC.
2. Remove the EasyWarm bowl.
3. Attach the Mixer bowl to the machine and fit the K beater.
4. Add Ingredients 3 (margarine, sugar, eggs, lemon, vanilla, flour, baking powder, salt) into the Mixer bowl, fit the splash guard.
5. Mix starting on speed Min, gradually increasing to speed Max for about 1 minute.
6. Divide contents of the Mixer bowl between the 3 springform tins.
7. Bake for 20 minutes, at 180ºC until golden brown.
8. Leave to cool in the tins for 10 minutes.
9. Remove from the tins and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
1. Retrieve, clean the EasyWarm bowl and fit the Whisk Tool.
2. Attach the EasyWarm bowl to the machine.
3. Add Ingredients 4 (butter, sugar, milk, vanilla, salt, jam, food colouring) into the EasyWarm bowl, fit the splash guard.
4. Mix on speed Min for about 30 seconds.
5. Mix on speed Max for about 30 seconds or until light and fluffy.
6. Transfer contents of the EasyWarm bowl to the piping bag and set aside.
1. Use a cake leveller or bread knife to level off each sponge layer.
2. Spread a small amount of buttercream onto the cake board.
3. Place one of the sponge layers onto the board, uncut side down.
4. Press down gently to help it stick to the board.
5. Cut the tip of the piping bag open, pipe a layer of the buttercream onto the sponge layer.
6. Use a right-angled spatula to smooth the top of the buttercream.
7. Pipe a ring of buttercream, about ½ cm (¼ “) in from the edge of the sponge.
8. Fill one third of Ingredients 5 (lemon curd) into the buttercream ring.
9. Spread the curd out to the buttercream ring.
10. Place the next sponge layeron top, uncut side down.
11. Press down gently with the palms of your hands held flat to ensure the cake remains level.
12. Repeat the buttercream and curd layering process.
13. Place the final sponge layer on top cut side down, press down gently with the palms of your hands.
14. Cover the sides and top of the cake in the buttercream.
15. Use a cake scraper or right-angled spatula to get a smooth finish.
16. Reserve any unused buttercream for sticking the brushstrokes onto the side of the cake later.
17. Stage 6 Add 30 g of Ingredients 6 (raspberries) to the medium bowl and reserve the rest.
18. Roughly crush the raspberries with the end of a rolling pin, keeping them coarse.
19. Decorate the bottom third of the sides and top of the cake with the last 10 g of Ingredients 6 (raspberries).
20. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
21. Carefully remove the chocolate brushstrokes from the silicone mat.
22. Add them to one side of the cake, starting at the top edge and working down to the base, overlapping as you go.
23. Add some of the chocolate brushstrokes to the top of the cake.
More recipes | Cake Recipes