For the pink dumpling dough:
125g beetroot, cooked
70ml water, hot
220g plain flour
For the orange dumpling dough:
80ml water, cold
70ml water, hot
220g plain flour
For the dumpling filling
30g carrot puree (leftover from the orange dough)
20g beetroot puree (leftover from the pink dough)
60g fresh shiitake mushrooms (or dried, rehydrated)
20g cashew nuts or firm pressed tofu
60g white cabbage
2-3 spring onions
10g fresh ginger
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
½ red chilli (optional)
½ tbsp of cornstarch
salt & white pepper to taste
For the dipping sauce:
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp white rice vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp water
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tsp sesame seeds
1. Start by making the dough wrappers for the dumplings.
2. To make the pink dumpling dough, assemble the food processor attachment and fit the knife blade.
3. Remove the high-speed outlet cover and attach the food processor attachment. Add the cooked beetroot, then use the ‘Pulse’ function to puree the beetroot.
4. Remove the food processor attachment from the high-speed outlet and secure the outlet cover onto the mixer.
5. Set the Cooking Chef XL with the mixing bowl.
6. Use a sieve to strain 60ml of beetroot puree into the bowl and reserve the pulp (contents in the sieve) for the filling later.
7. Add the hot water and flour into the mixer bowl, then fit the dough tool.
8. Mix on speed 1-2 for approximately 2 minutes until the mixture comes together, add a tablespoon of water if the dough is too dry. The dough should not be sticky so avoid adding too much water.
9. Transfer the beetroot dumpling dough to a small bowl, cover and allow to rest while you make the next colour.
10. To make the orange dumpling dough, clean and re-assemble the food processor attachment, fitted the fine grating disc. Then attach to the high-speed outlet.
11. Grate the carrots, then remove the grating disc and replace with the knife blade.
12. Pour in the water and use the ‘Pulse’ function to puree the carrot.
13. Remove the food processor attachment from the high-speed outlet and sieve the carrot liquid into the clean Cooking Chef XL bowl. Reserve the pulp for later.
14. Add the hot water and flour into the mixer bowl, then fit the dough tool.
15. Mix on speed 1-2 for approximately 2 minutes until the mixture comes together, add a tablespoon of water if the dough is too dry- however the dough should not be sticky so do not add too much. Leave the doughs to rest for 40 minutes.
16. Whilst the doughs are resting, make the dumpling filling.
17. To make the filling, assemble the food processor attachment with the knife blade and attach to the high-speed outlet.
18. Add the leftover carrot and beetroot, shiitake mushrooms, cashews or tofu, cabbage, spring onions, ginger, garlic, chilli, soy sauce, sesame oil and cornstarch to the food processor bowl.
19. Use the ‘Pulse’ function in 5 second bursts to process until finely chopped. Do not over process, scrape down the sides and pulse again if necessary.
20. Check the seasoning and add white pepper and salt if necessary.
21. Next, roll the dumpling dough. Attach the lasagne roller attachment to the slow speed outlet of the machine.
22. Next, roll the dumpling dough. Attach the lasagne roller attachment to the slow speed outlet of the machine.
23. Set the adjustable knob to number ‘0’, then flatten the dough to approximately 1 cm thick and sprinkle some flour between the rollers.
24. Start the machine on speed 1 and carefully guide the dough through the rollers, repeating until you get a smooth surface. Fold the dough in half between each roll to get a smoother surface and edge.
25. Adjust the knob from 0 to 5 in increments, each time re-feeding the dough through the attachment, adding more flour to the dough each time.
26. Once you have rolled the dough to your desired thickness, lay flat onto a well-floured worktop.
27. Use an 8cm round cutter to cut the wrappers and add a spoonful of filling in the centre.
28. Bring the edges to the middle and twist to secure in place.
29. Repeat with the remaining dough wrappers and filling.
30. Grease the metal steamer basket with a little oil to stop them from sticking, then place the dumplings in the steamer basket.
31. Fill the mixing bowl with 1L water and put the steamer securely in place. Select the ‘Steam’ preset and adjust the time to 8-10 minutes.
32. Repeat the steaming process to cook any remaining dumplings. Alternatively, to freeze the dumplings, place them on a lined baking tray and place in the freezer. Once frozen, transfer the dumplings into freezer containers for 2-3 months.
33. Meanwhile make the dipping sauce. Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl.
34. Once the dumplings are cooked, carefully remove the steamer basket from the bowl and place the dumplings on a serving dish. Serve with the sesame dipping sauce.
More recipes | Main Recipes | Vegan Recipes