Rainbow Candle Cake
| || Recipe course: Dessert ||Total time (min.): 60|
Why have one colour when you can have them all! This Rainbow Candle Cake is perfect for birthdays and celebrations.
- 150g/5oz good quality milk chocolate
- 175g/6oz self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150g/5oz golden caster sugar
- 150g/5oz very soft, slightly salted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- Prospero Kitchen Machine
- Thick shredding plate
- Preheat the oven to fan 160°C/ conventional 180°C/gas 4. Butter and line the base of two 20cm, 8in sandwich tins. Coarsely grate two thirds of the chocolate using the large shredding plate and chop the rest in the food processor. Set aside.
- Put the flour, baking powder and sugar into the mixer bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the butter, eggs and milk (the butter must be very soft). Beat together using the k beater with splashguard on speed 3, then increase to 5 for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Lightly fold in the grated, chopped chocolate and mashed banana.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins. Gently level the surface with the back of a metal spoon or spatula. Bake side by side on the middle shelf for 25-30 minutes until springy to the touch and beginning to shrink away from the sides.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes. Turn out on a wire rack; remove the lining paper and leave to cool for about 1 hour before icing.
- Break up and melt 225g/8oz white chocolate into a heatproof bowl and melt gently over a pan of hot, not quite simmering water until just melted. Remove from the pan and set aside for 5-6 minutes. Now stir in 200ml/7floz créme fraiche (or soured cream) until smooth and shiny, then let cool and thicken (5 minutes or so). Spread one sponge with just under half of the chocolate mixture. Place the other cake on top and spread the remaining icing over the top. To decorate, sprinkle with dolly mixtures or jelly sweets and arrange rainbow coloured candles in a circle in the middle of the cake.