Pistachio Meringue Cake (Gluten Free)
|Serves: Up to 10 || Recipe course: Dessert ||Machine: Mixer||Total time (min.): 20 |
- 150 grams white chocolate chips
- 150 grams flaked almonds
- 150 grams ground almonds
- 180 grams pitted dates, chopped
- 50 grams dried cranberries or barberries
- 5 egg whites, at room temperature
- 120 grams caster sugar
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 250 grams full fat soft cream cheese, at room temperature
- 50 grams butter, softened, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50 grams icing sugar
- 1 pomegranate, seeds from
- 2 tbsp. chopped pistachios
Before you start:
- preheat the oven to 160˚C
- line the base of three shallow 8 inch diameter cake pans
- Attach the food processor bowl, fit the knife blade.
- Add the almonds and chocolate chips, select maximum speed and process until finely chopped.
- Transfer the nut mixture to a large mixing bowl, add the dates and cranberries and reserve.
- Attach the metal bowl, fit the whisk.
- Add the egg whites to the bowl.
- Turn the dial to the maximum speed setting.
- Whisk for 2-3 minutes until soft peaks are formed, (by soft peak we mean that the meringue is formed and you can see the trail of the whisks as they pass through the mixture).
- Continue to whisk, gradually add the caster sugar into the feed tube, one tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is fully incorporated and looks glossy.
- Fold a quarter of the meringue into the reserved dry ingredients, then gradually fold in the remaining meringue- be as gentle as you can.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the prepared tins.
- Place into the preheated oven for 20 minutes, halfway through cooking reduce the temperature to 140 ˚C to prevent over browning.
- Leave the cakes to cool slightly before turning them out onto a wire cooling rack.
- Clean the metal bowl, attach it to the base unit and fit the creaming beater
- Add the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and icing sugar into the mixing bowl
- Select medium speed until the mixture is thoroughly combined and looks smooth
- Use a spatula to spread one third of the frosting over the bottom layer of the cake, then repeat with the next two layers
- Scatter the pomegranate seeds and nuts over the top of the cake and serve.