Lamb Koftas with Minted Yogurt
Delicious spiced lamb meatballs served with a refreshing mint yogurt sauce, a flavourful Middle Eastern delight.
For the minted yogurt:
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt
- A few sprigs of mint, finely chopped
- 5ml/1 tsp mint sauce
- Pinch ground turmeric
For the koftas:
- 250g/9oz lean lamb, cubed
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- Few sprigs of mint
- Few sprigs coriander
- 2.5ml/1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- Mincer with coarse screen
- Processor with blade or liquidiser
- Soak 12 bamboo sticks in cold water for an hour. Mix together the ingredients for the minted yogurt and set aside.Mince the lamb into the mixer bowl using the mincer with the coarse screen. Process or blend the remaining ingredients until finely chopped and add to the lamb. Mix well with the hands.
- Roll into sausage shapes and mould onto the skewers, rub with a little oil, cover the ends of the sticks with foil and cook, turning occasionally under a hot grill for 8-10 minutes. Serve with the minted yogurt and couscous and herb salad.
For the couscous and herb salad
- In the processor or liquidiser, finely chop half a bunch spring onions, a small handful mint leaves, a small handful parsley and 4 ripe tomatoes, (skinned and seeded) In a bowl, mix everything with 120g couscous, the juice of a lemon, 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and 100ml boiling water. Cover the bowl and leave to stand for 1 hour to plump up.
- Stir well and serve.