Goan Fish Curry
|Serves: 4 people||Recipe course:
Main||Total time (min.): 80||Complexity (1 to 3): 1|
Rated by our customers as "Five star and easy to cook!" this delicious fish recipe has spices, crumble and lots of lovely flavours.
High or Slow Speed Slicer Shredder / Multi-Mill
- 5ml (1 tsp) turmeric
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) salt
- 10ml (2 tsp) plain flour
- 15ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
- 4 x 175g (6oz) cod or haddock steaks
- 1 onion, halved lengthways
- 5ml (1 tsp) cumin seeds
- 10ml (2 tsp) coriander seeds
- 5ml (1 tsp) black peppercorns
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 5cm (2 inch) piece fresh root ginger, chopped
- 1 small hot red chilli, seeded
- 45ml (3 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 3 mild green chillies, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 10ml (2 tsp) tomato purée
- 400ml (14fl oz) can coconut milk
- coriander sprigs, to garnish
- basmati rice, to serve
- Mix the turmeric, salt and flour together. Sprinkle the lemon juice over the fish steaks and rub the turmeric mixture over the steaks to coat.
- Fit the High or Slow Speed Slicer Shredder with the thick slicing plate or drum and slice the onion.
- Place the cumin seeds, coriander seeds and peppercorns in the Multi-Mill and mill to a powder. Add the garlic, ginger and red chilli and process for a few seconds.
- Heat 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil in a large frying pan or flameproof casserole, then add the fish steaks and fry for 1-2 minutes per side to seal and brown. Remove on to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil and onions and cook for 5-6 minutes, to soften the onions. Add the green chillies and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the ground spice paste, chopped tomatoes and tomato purée and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk and stir to incorporate the spices, then bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Return the fish steaks to the pan and simmer for 6-8 minutes, or until the fish is cooked and opaque.
- Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary. Garnish with coriander sprigs and serve with basmati rice.
More like this
All recipes | Curry recipes | Main course recipes