Cumin and Fennel Cornbread
|Serves: Up to 4 people||Recipe course:
Accompaniment||Total time (min.): 40||Complexity (1 to 3): 1|
This savoury bread recipe goes well with any meal
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ground fennel
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 250g plain flour
- 250g maize / polenta
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 50ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 250ml buttermilk
- 60g butter, melted
- 60g caster sugar
- Heat the oven to 200°C and grease a loaf tin.
- Toast the fennel seeds and cumin seeds in a dry pan until fragrant - reserve.
- Add the flour, maize, baking powder, groundspices, water and salt to the bowl. Attach the dough hook.
- In a separate bowl mix together the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and sugar. Add the mix to the bowl and knead on a high speed for about 10 seconds so that the mixture remains lumpy.
- Pour the mixture into the greased loaf tin, top with the fennel and cumin seeds and bake for about half an hour until the dough is firm and slightly springy. Leave to cool on a cooling rack and serve slightly warm.
More like this
Bread recipes | All recipes