Coconut and Chocolate Meringue
| Recipe course: Dessert ||Total time (min.): 1 hour 10 |
This heavenly dessert has a crisp meringue shell with a touch of delicious coconut and chocolate.
- 4 Egg whites
- 225g (8oz) Caster sugar
- Few drops of vanilla essence
- 5ml (1 tsp) Vinegar
- 1 Chocolate Flake, crushed
- 100g (4oz) Desiccated coconut
- 284ml Pot double cream
- 175g (6oz) Raspberries
- Preheat oven to Gas 4, 180C, 170C fan oven. Grease and line 2x20cm (8”) loose based sandwich tins.
- Place egg whites into the mixer bowl with the whisk attachment. Whisk at speed max for 2 minutes until stiff, add the sugar and whisk for a further 10 seconds.
- Add the vanilla, vinegar, Flake and coconut and using the fold button press 5 or 6 times until the ingredients are combined (be careful not to over mix as it will knock air out of the mixture).
- Divide between the sandwich tins and bake for approx. 40 minutes, until firm and lightly browned. Cool.
- Whisk the cream on speed 5 for 1 minute 45 seconds, check to see how thick it is (it should hold in peaks), if not quite thick enough whisk for a further 5-10 seconds. Add the raspberries and fold in using the fold button 4-5 times.
- Sandwich the meringue together with the raspberries and cream and chill before serving.