- 300ml Water (room temperature)
- 7g Dried Instant Yeast(1 sachet)
- 500g Plain flour (t55)
- 1 tbsp Caster suga
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- 2 litres Water (cold)
- 1 tbsp Sodium bicarbonate
- 50g Poppy or sesame seeds
- To prepare, place the water and yeast into the Mixer bowl. Leave for 5 minutes to allow the yeast to dissolve.
- Continue adding the flour, sugar, oil and salt to the bowl and attach to the machine. Fit the dough hook and splash guard.
- Start the machine on speed 1 and mix for 10 minutes until the ingredients combine to form a flexible dough.
- Leave the dough in the bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Place at room temperature to proof for 1 ½ hours or until doubled in size.
- Once proved, carefully transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface. Flatten the dough carefully with your wrist and then take the far edge and roll it back towards you.
- Gently roll the dough to make the dough longer, being careful to apply even and gentle pressure.
- Divide the dough into 10 even pieces. Cover them all with a tea towel to relax the dough for 10 minutes.
- To shape into bagels, take one piece of dough and gently mould to a ball.
- Insert a floured wooden spoon on your finger through the centre of the dough ball and carefully open the hole to create a ring shape.
- Place the dough onto a lined baking tray. Repeat this action with the remaining pieces of dough.
- Cover the dough with a damp tea towel and leave to rest for a further 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 220°c.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and sodium bicarbonate and slowly heat to bring to a boil.
- Add the poppy or sesame seeds onto a plate and set aside.
- Carefully place the bagel dough into the boiling water and poach for 20 seconds. Use a slotted spoon to flip over to the other side and poach for another 20 seconds.
- Gently lift the poached bagel (removing as much excess water as possible) and dip one side into the plate of seeds.
- Place the bagel to baking sheet lined with parchment, seeded side up.
- Repeat this action with the remaining 9 bagels.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden.
- Serve with your favourite spreads and toppings.