- Yeast Mixture (for Buns)
- 1lb plain flour
- 1-2 oz margarine or lard
- 1-2 oz sugar
- ½ level teaspoon salt
- ½ oz yeast
- ½ pint tepid milk, or milk and water (approx.).
- Sieve the flour and salt together into warmed Kenwood bowl.
- Rub in margarine, and add the sugar
- Whisk the yeast in tepid liquid and this into a well in the centre of the flour mixture
- Stand in a warm place for about 15 minutes.
- Using the Dough Hook at speed 2-4 until perfectly smooth dough.
- The dough should be a little softer than for bread, and if necessary add another tablespoonful tepid milk (this is rarely needed).
- Leave the bowl in a warm place for the dough to prove until double its size.
- Knead again using the Dough Hook until smooth, then make into desired shapes.
- Shape into fingers – prove and bake near the top of a hot oven at 230 degrees centigrade for a good 10 minutes.
- Coat with coloured water icing when cold.