1lb5oz strong white flour
2 sachet yeast
3tbsp muscovado sugar
2 tsp mixed spice
Finely grated rind 1lemon
4tbsp plain flour
4 tbsp milk
4 tbsp caster sugar
Entered by Helen Huxley on 15/01/2014
This recipe is one I'm handing down, I've been making it for 20 years I adapt it using orange rind and choc chips and cranberries and white choc we have even had birthday buns with no crosses on!
- Melt butter in pan add milk and warm to hand hot. In mixer mix flour, salt,spice, yeast, sugar, lemon rind and raisins .
- Add warm milk and egg mix with dough hook. When ingredients have come together mix for 5 mins.
- Put mixture into lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film, leave in warm place 45 min to 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Pre heat oven to 200c.
- Kneed dough for 3 mins cut into 16 pieces roll each piece into a ball. Put balls on baking trays covered with parchment ( it gets messy later!) gently score a cross into each of them.
- Make a paste with plain flour and water spoon into piping bag and pipe on to buns in cross.
- Bake 10 to 15 mins.
- Cool While buns are baking boil milk and sugar for glaze until thick and sticky brush over warm buns.