|Serves: 10 people||Recipe course: Desserts||Total time (min.): 125||Complexity (1 to 3): 2|
45g vegan butter, cubed
240ml plant-based milk, unflavored
½ teaspoon salt
A pinch of saffron
450g all-purpose flour
7g active dry yeast
Swedish pearl sugar, optional
1. Place the raisins in a small bowl and pour 3 tbsp of water. Leave this aside to allow the raisins to soak for at least 10 minutes, this will prevent them from burning in the oven later.
2. Add the butter, milk and saffron to a small saucepan and gently heat until lukewarm.
3. Fit the 7L mixing bowl onto the Chef machine with the dough hook. Pour in the warm milk mixture, then weigh in the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt.
4. Mix on Min speed for 1 minute, then increase to Speed 1 for 8 minutes, until a soft dough forms that is a little sticky to touch.
5. If the dough is too wet, you can gradually add some flour one tablespoon at a time. If the dough is too dry, add a little water.
6. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and leave to rise at room temperature for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
7. Once the dough has doubled in size, punch down the dough and transfer onto a floured surface. Use a dough scraper to divide the dough into fours, then split each piece into four again so you end up with sixteen pieces of dough.
8. Take one piece of dough into lightly floured hands and roll into a ball. Use your hands to roll into a rope, roughly 20-25cm in length.
9. Shape the ends in opposite directions towards the center into a curled ‘S’ shape.
10. Prepare two baking trays with parchment paper and place the shaped buns on top.
11. Brush a little milk on top and add two raisins in the middle of each ‘swirl’, or sprinkle with some pearl sugar.
12. Cover the buns with a cloth and allow to rise at room temperature for 30 minutes.
13. Bake at 400F/204°C for 5-10 minutes, until the buns are golden and tender.
14. Leave to cool and then store in an airtight container.