Layered Carrot Cake
|Serves: 10 || Course: Dessert ||Category: Cakes||Total time (min.): 1 hour 10|
- 4 large carrots, peeled
- 2 ½ cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons bi-carbonate soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 200g can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts plus a few extra to garnish
- 500g cream cheese, room temperature, cut into cubes
- 250g butter, room temperature, cut into cubes
- 2 ½ cups icing sugar
- MultiOne bowl
- Food Processor
Method for carrot cake batter
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Grease and line a 22cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- Attach the food processor to the MultiOne and insert the thick grating blade.
- Secure the lid. Process the carrots. Set aside. Remove the food processor attachment.
- Lock the splashguard into place and attach the k-beater.
- Sift flour, baking powder, bi-carbonate soda, spices and salt into a bowl.
- Add sugars, oil, eggs, pineapple and walnuts into the MultiOne bowl.
- Mix on speed 2 for 30 seconds or until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Add all of the dry ingredients into the bowl, including the grated carrots.
- Mix on speed 2 for 20 seconds or until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour mixture into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean, when tested.
- Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes then turn out, peel off the baking paper and place to cool on a wire rack.
Method for cream cheese icing
- Lock the splashguard into place and attach the creaming beater.
- Add the cream cheese and butter to the bowl.
- Mix on speed 1 for 30 seconds or until all ingredients are combined.
- Slowly add the icing sugar over a 2 minute period. The icing should be light and fluffy. Once all of the icing sugar has been incorporated, turn up to speed 4 for 20 seconds.
- Once cooled, cut the cake into three layers and assemble the cake with icing between each layer. Top with walnuts and serve.