|Serves: 6 people||Recipe course: Starters||Preparation time (min.): 40||Cooking time (min.): 60|
For the chapati:
280g wholewheat flour, plus extra for dusting
180ml water, warm
10g ghee, melted
For the pumpkin dhal:
3 garlic cloves
Thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled
1 red chilli, deseeded
2 tbsp ghee or olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp curry powder
200g chopped tomatoes
450g butternut squash or pumpkin, cut to 2cm cubes
400g red lentils
1L vegetable stock
1. To make the chapati, attach the Cooking Chef bowl to the machine and fit the dough tool.
2. Add wholewheat flour and water into the Cooking Chef bowl, then fit the splash guard.
3. Select the dough kneading preset for 10 minutes and press the dial to start.
4. Remove the dough into a separate bowl and cover to rest for 30 minutes.
5. Place dough on a floured surface and divide into 12 pieces.
6. Take one piece and roll into a ball, flatten slightly then use a rolling pin to roll out into a large circle as thin as possible.
7. Place a large flat pan on a medium high heat, then cook the chapati for around 2 minutes until brown marks start to appear.
8. Flip over and cook the other side. Place on a serving plate and brush with the melted ghee.
9. Repeat with remaining dough pieces. Cover chapati with a cloth until ready to eat.
10. To make the dhal, add the garlic, ginger and chilli into mini chopper/mill jar. Secure with the blades, then attach to the high-speed outlet and blitz on a high speed to form a paste.
11. Lift the Cooking Chef XL machine head and fit the heat shield and fit the stir tool to the machine.
12. Attach the Cooking Chef XL bowl to the machine and fit the stir assist clip.
13. Add the ghee into the bowl, then fit the splash guard.
14. Cook at 130°C on speed Stir 1 for 1 minute.
15. Add the onion and garlic, ginger and chilli paste from earlier, then cook at 120°C on speed Stir 1 for 6 minutes.
16. Add the herbs and spices (coriander, cumin, turmeric, curry powder) and cook at 110°C on speed Stir 1 for 3 minutes.
17. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook at 105°C on speed Stir 1 for 6 minutes.
18. Lastly, add the pumpkin, lentils and vegetable stock and cook at 110°C on speed Stir 1 for 30 minutes.
19. Season well, then serve with fresh coriander and homemade chapati.