Morning Coffee Cake
|Serves: 10 people||Recipe course:
Cakes||Total time (min.): 60||Complexity (1 to 3): 1|
A lovely classic sponge cake with walnuts, the perfect coffee accompaniment for afternoon tea.
- 115g butter, softened
- 115g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 150g plain yogurt
- 225g plain flour
- Half tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50g chopped walnuts
- 3 tbsp raspberry preserve
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- 75g walnut halves
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Begin by adding the butter and caster sugar to the bowl of your kitchen machine, fitted with the K-beater. Switch the machine on to speed 2 and beat the mixture for 5 minutes, until it is pale and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs, then the almond essence, lemon juice and yogurt until thoroughly combined.
- Add the flour, salt, baking powder and chopped walnuts and mix at minimum speed, until just combined.
- Spread half of the cake batter into the bottom of a greased, lined 23cm cake tin, then spoon over the raspberry preserve and top with the remaining cake batter.
- Sprinkle the top with Demerara sugar and decorate with walnut halves.
- Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, until risen and firm to the touch.
- Leave in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Serve alongside a hot cup of coffee.
More Cake Recipes