For Date Filling
- Mix the dates, oil, sesame seeds, and cinnamon or cardamom to form a paste. Shape into small balls the size of hazelnuts.
For the Ma’amoul
- Place the butter and milk in a saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat.
- Mix the all-purpose flour, semolina flour and sugar on a slow speed in the Kenwood bowl using the K-beater.
- Pour the hot milk mix into flour mixture, mixing continuously on medium speed until well combined.
- Add the orange blossom water and continue mixing until fully incorporated.
- Cover with kitchen towel and set aside for at least 3 hours (or preferably overnight).
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Knead the dough by hand for 5 minutes until soft and pliable. Shape the dough into walnut-size balls.
- Using your thumb, press into balls to make cups. Fill the cups with date balls. Fold the dough over the filling, pressing the seams to seal.
- Roll into balls then put the balls into decorated moulds, tapping them out onto a work surface. Arrange on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden, allow to cool and then arrange on a serving plate.
- Let cool, then arrange on a serving plate.