8oz caster sugar
8oz white chocolate drops
1/2 tbs vanilla extract
12 oz icing sugar
2 vanilla pods
1tbs vanilla extract
8oz dark chocolate drops
6 tbs Summer fruits jam shop brought or homemade (which is what I use)
Entered by Jenny Smith on 14/01/2014
I try and experiment with my baking all the time and I am forever giving my 'new invention cakes' to my husband to try out on his work mates! This is one of the more basic takes on a classic, and the even quantity recipe was one my Mum taught me from a very young age, but sometimes the simple ones taste the best. Only advised for those who have a very sweet tooth! Enjoy :)
Heat the oven to gas 4/180c/350f. Line 3, 6inch/15cm sandwich cake tins.
- Cream together the butter and sugar till white and fluffy, add 1 egg and beat in, add 1 egg and a small amount of flour and beat in, add the last egg and a small amount of flour and vanilla extract and beat in, add the rest of the flour and white chocolate drops and stir in carefully till throroughly mixed.
- Separate the mixture evenly into the cake tins and put in the oven till golden and springy, normally about 15-20min, but I test by looking.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Scrape out the vanilla seeds from the pods and add to the butter and vanilla extract, beat until creamy.
- Add the icing sugar and dark chocolate drops and beat until smooth.
- I beat the jam as well so it is nice and smooth for spreading. Putting it together Split the jam and buttercream into 2 even quantities.
- Spread the first of the jam on the first sponge layer, then spread the first of the buttercream on top, place the next sponge layer on top and repeat with the rest of the jam and buttercream. when you have added the top layer sprinkle with icing sugar.