225g Self Raising Flour
225g caster sugar
1 x 2.5ml spoon salt (half teaspoon)
2 medium eggs
5 x 15ml spoon (5 tablespoons) evaporated milk
5 x 15ml spoon (5 tablespoons) water
few drops vanilla essence
150 ml double cream approximately
4 tablespoons of strawberry jam
approximately 3 tablespoons of icing sugar
Entered by Julie Deane on 15/01/2014
This recipe is one that has been changed over the years, sometimes as I haven't had the correct ingredients in my cupboards!
Heat oven to 180 degrees C, 350 degrees F or Gas 4.
- Grease 2 x 20.5 cm (8 inch) tins.
- Mix flour, sugar and salt.
- Rub in margarine. Beat eggs with milk.
- Stir egg mixture, essence and liquids into the dry ingredients and beat well
- Place mixture in prepared tins and bake for about 35 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool, then remove from tins. Whisk double cream until quite thick, and spread over underside of one half of the cake halves, then spread strawberry jam over the underside of the other cake.
- Sandwich both pieces together and sieve icing sugar over the top. Enjoy!