4 large eggs
70gr butter at room temperature
50gr sunflower oil
1 teaspoon orange zest
165gr orange juice
75gr coarsely grated almonds with skin
325gr plain flour
Whole almonds to decorate
Entered by Georgia Kouali on 17/12/2013
This cake is VASILOPITA and is traditionally served with coffee on new year eve, after dinner ,thus as soon as the new year arrives. We put a coin in it and my father cuts it in square pieces one for every quest.Then he gives one piece to everybody starting from the youngest . The person who gets the coin will be the lucky one for the whole year!!!
- Preheat the oven to 170C fan.
- Butter and flour a 26cm loose bottom baking tin.
- Separate the egg white from the yolk. In a clean bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- In another bowl mix the egg yolks and the butter. Whisk for 5 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the sugar the oil and the orange zest.
- Add the orange juice gradually whisking slowly.
- After add the almonds.
- Sift the flour with the b.p. and gradually add whisking at a slow speed to the almond mixture.
- Finally fold in with a large spoon the egg whites.
- Pour in the tin. Wrap a clean 10p coin in aluminum foil and put vertically in the cake. Using whole almonds write the number of the year.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 40-45 minutes.