Entered by Julie Heron on 18/12/2013
Oven temp = 150C/300F/Gas 2 - Cooking hours 3-3 1/2 reducing to 140C/275F/Gas 1 half way through cooking for 10 inch
- Set the oven at the selected temp. Grease and line the tin with a double thickness of greaseproof paper.
- Sift the flour, spices and salt together, set aside.
- Quarter or chop the cherries and mix together with all dried fruit, set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time with a spoonful of the flour mixture, beating well between each addition. Add the almond extract, black treacle and grated rind from the orange and lemon. Beat well to give a smooth mixture.
- Slowly mix in the remainder of the flour then the dried fruit until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin. You can use the 'bake-even cake strips' to ensure your cake top does not crack.
- Bake for the suggested time, checking the cake about 15-30 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- If the cake looks as if it is darkening/burning on top, place a double thickness of greaseproof paper over whilst cooking. Allow the cake to cool in the tin. While the cake is still warm, remove from the tin leaving the greaseproof paper in tact, skewer all over and pour whiskey/brandy over. Leaving the greaseproof paper on, wrap in cling film then foil and feed it liquor regularly to keep moist. Remove wrapping when ready to Ice and decorate.
Storing - wrap cake in greaseproof paper, then foil and keep in a cool dark place. Do not store the cake in the fridge. You may freeze slices of the cake by wrapping tightly in cling film, then foil.