7 oz Self Raising Flour
Half teaspoon of Baking Powder
5 oz Butter
3 oz Caster Sugar
1 lb Apples - peeled and sliced
2 tbs Granulated Sugar
2 tbs Apricot Jam - heated enough to loosen
Entered by Denise Tyrrell on 15/01/2014
This is my mothers apple cake recipe that my sister revived and forwarded to me. Mum gave my sister her old old Kenwood a few years ago as she had got too old to bake this I might add is still in excellent working order - how good is that!
- Cream the sugar and butter together.
- When light and fluffy add the eggs (whisked) gradually.
- When the eggs have been incorporated add the flour and baking powder a tablespoonful at a time.
- Spread two thirds of the mixture into a prepared tin (in my case I used an 8 inch round loose bottomed cake tin that is approximately 4 inches deep which I buttered and placed a disk of baking parchment on the bottom. However, this cake is not very deep so a variation of what I used would be just as good). 5
- Peel and slice apples - place these on the cake mixture evenly and sprinkle with the granulated sugar.
- Heat jam and dot over the apples.
- Then drop the remaining mixture by teaspoons all over the apples.