For the sponge
5 large free-range eggs
115g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
Finely grated rind of half an orange
25g plain flour, sifted
40g ground almonds
For the filling
1 x 142ml tub double cream
1 x 142ml tub natural low fat yoghurt
3 tablespoons icing sugar (plus extra for dusting)
3-4 tablespoons fresh orange juice
4 passion fruits, halved and pulp removed
Entered by Lynn Furnival on 15/01/2014
This is a deliciously light sponge roulade - my family love it!
Pre-heat oven to 190°C/375F/Gas mark 5. Line a 33 x 23cm (13 x 9in) swiss roll tin with greased non-stick baking paper.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, half the caster sugar and the orange rind, then fold in the flour and ground almonds.
- Whisk egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff.
- Gradually whisk in remaining caster sugar.
- Fold a quarter of the whites into yolk mix, then fold in the rest.
- Spoon into tin and smooth flat.
- Bake for 10 minutes until spongy to the touch.
- Cover and cool for three quarters of an hour.
- Sprinkle a sheet of non-stick baking paper with caster sugar, turn the sponge onto it, carefully removing the lining paper.
For the filling
- Whip the cream until just peaking.
- Stir in yoghurt, icing sugar, orange juice and whisk again until peaking.
- Spread the filling to within 1cm of the edges of the sponge and scoop the passion fruit pulp on top.
- Starting at one of the short ends, carefully roll up using the paper to help and turn it onto a plate so that the join is underneath.
- Dust with icing sugar and chill until ready to serve.