200g plain flour
1 heaped teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon of baking powder
115g room temperature butter
55g butter 1 tbsp golden syrup
2 heaped tsps ground ginger
55g icing sugar
Entered by Kiri Lord on 25/11/2013
Any self respecting baker in New Zealand would have a 'traditional' ginger crunch recipe to hand passed down from their Mum or Grandmother. The crunch should be buttery and crispy (unlike the awful commercial varierty which is thick and doughy). I always up the amount of ginger in the base and topping so it can truely be called Ginger Crunch.
- Put all of the ingredients into a food processor and process until the mixture forms fine crumbs.
- Press into a shallow 30cm x 21cm tin. If non stick base lined with baking paper
- Bake 20-25 minutes in a preheated 180c oven until a pale, golden brown.
- While the base is cooking make the topping. Melt all of the topping ingredients over a medium heat unitl runny, well combined and the sugar has melted. Immediately pour the topping over the base as soon as its cooked. Leave to cool a little for the topping to set.
- Then slice into 12 squares.