3 sweet potatoes
1 tin of chickpeas
1 red onion
A pinch of dried chilli flakes
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp of olive oil
A handful of breadcrumbs
A handful of chopped parsley
1 tsp toasted coriander seeds
Ground salt and pepper
Entered by Silvia Mariana on 28/11/2013
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Drain the chickpeas and in a large bowl mash them with a potato masher. Don't squish them to a puree, that's not what you want. You are looking for a textured mush, with lumps here and there.
- Peel and grate in the sweet potato and carrot.
- Finely chop the onion and add this to the bowl, along with all the other ingredients.
- Mix everything together - this is best done with your hands.
- Line a baking sheet with greaseproof, rubbing a little oil on it. (If you rub oil on the tray, then push the greaseproof down onto it, it'll stick quite happily).
- Take a handful of the mixture, about the size of a Clementine, and roll it in your hand until you form a ball. Squish it down to about a centimetre thick. It doesn't matter if there are little bits sticking out - these will become lovely and crispy as they cook.
- Place the cakes on the baking sheet. When you've done all of them, you can either pop them in the fridge to firm up a bit, or stick them straight in the oven.
- They'll take around 25 minutes to cook.