Just perfect for summer afternoon tea – light, crispy almond macarons sandwiched together with a crushed raspberry and mascarpone cream.
Makes: 12 Macarons
- 2 large egg whites
- 175g icing sugar, sieved
- 1 tsp pink food colouring
- 75g ground almonds
- 110g mascarpone
- 75g raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 150C/gas mark 2. Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment. Fit a piping bag with a 1.5cm plain nozzle.
- Place the egg whites in the Kenwood Chef bowl fitted with the whisk and whisk until soft peaks are formed. Whilst the machine is running, add the sieved icing sugar through the splashguard, 1 tablespoon at a time. Add the food colouring, a few drops at a time and whisk until the mixture is an even bright, pink colour (the colour will fade to a pale pink during cooking).
- Remove the bowl from the Kenwood Chef and carefully fold in the ground almonds, 1 tablespoon at a time, using a large metal spoon.
- Transfer half the mixture to the piping bag and pipe 12 even circles onto one of the baking trays. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Set aside in a cool place for 20 minutes to allow a skin to form.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until just set. Leave to cool completely on the baking parchment.
- When ready to serve, carefully remove the macarons from the parchment. Place the raspberries in a bowl and gently crush with the back of a fork. Stir in the mascarpone until well mixed. Spread the mixture evenly over half the macarons. Top with the remaining macarons and gently press together. Serve immediately.