Job Title: Assistant Home Economist ( Food Technologist Apprenticeship)
Reports to: Senior Home Economist
Direct Reports: None
Date Created: 09/01/19
Purpose: To evaluate and test new and existing small kitchen/food preparation appliances in a test kitchen environment.
Training: Attend 2 Year Food Technologist Apprenticeship as part of the on the job training.
- To carry out performance testing of development products from prototype to production level and to verify their performance in accordance with relevant test methods.
- To compare and evaluate competitors’ products for project benchmarking
- To create and review Kenwood core instruction manuals.
- Carry out kitchen performance tests on Kenwood core kitchen appliances against relevant test methods and protocols
- Carry out benchmarking/comparative testing against key competitors
- Write concise technical kitchen test reports for all performance testing carried out
- Create instruction manual for new products and liaise with an outside agency to typeset and action translations. Review and update instruction as and when necessary
- Create and update performance test methods when required
- Responsible to ensure allocated project work and instruction books are actioned and completed at the correct time
- To work within and support the other departments within the NPD team, including the Quality, R&D and Marketing teams
- To provide expertise to Customer Care, Sales etc. (both UK and globally), on any performance enquires/questions they may have regarding using Kenwood products, and if required arrange the necessary testing
- To assist other departments with technical information regarding products tested
- Demonstrate performance of products internally where requested
- To purchase food items for carrying out performance testing
- To maintain “good housekeeping” practices in the Test Kitchen
- Comply with the Roles and Responsibilities as is defined in Section 2.3 of the Health and Safety Manual
Key Interface – Internal/External
- R&D Team
- Quality Team
- Product Managers/Assistants
- Project Managers/Assistants
- Instruction Manual Artwork and translation Agency.
Health and Safety Training Requirements:
- Health and Safety at Work Act – E-Learning
- Food Hygiene Level 2
- Electrical safety training
- New product development process
Qualifications & Experience:
- Level 2 English and Maths (minimum GCSE grade A-C/BTEC)
- Food based qualification (minimum GCSE Grade A – C) or experience – ideally around Home Economics, Nutrition, Food Technology/Food Science or Health & Wellness.
- Good communication skill both written and oral
- Interest in Food, Nutrition and home cooking
- Good interactive team player
- Analytical approach to work
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office – word, excel and Power point
- Experience of team work
- Pro-active problem solving
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Regular home cooking – especially home baking
- Familiar with using small domestic kitchen appliances – especially kitchen machines/food mixers and food processors.
- Clean Driver’s Licence
Back to Careers Page