Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Tools: Flexi Beater (for the panada) / Power Whisk
What is Soufflé?
Soufflé is a fluffy and light baked dish made primarily with egg. Although perceived as a difficult dish to make, the trick is simply to get the consistency right and serve it straight out of the oven.
You can prepare and store the soufflé dishes and the soufflé base (panada) the day before you cook the soufflé.
To prepare the ramekins
- Melt 50g butter and allow to cool slightly. Using a pastry brush, butter the inside surfaces as well as the top edge of the ramekins.
- Ensure the surfaces are evenly covered with butter, and then cool in the fridge. Repeat the procedure.
- This time sprinkle some flour into the ramekins and rotate to ensure the surface is completely covered. Tap the ramekin to remove excess flour.
To prepare the soufflé base (panada)
- The soufflé base (panada) can also be prepared the day before and refrigerated.
- The soufflé base can be reheated gently in the machine bowl just before you need it, warming it up to 40ºC, before folding in the meringue.
Make the panada
- Attach the Flexi Beater, set the temperature to 120ºC and the speed to stirring 3. After 1 minute add the butter. Once the butter is melted add the flour and increase the speed to stirring 1. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk gradually, making sure the milk is absorbed before each addition - this will ensure there are no lumps in the sauce.
- Add the mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Once the sauce starts to boil, reduce the temperature to a simmer and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, add the two cheeses, the egg yolks and continue beating until the temperature reaches 40°C.
- Taste the sauce at this point - if you can still taste some starch (uncooked flour), cook for another 5 minutes or until you cannot taste any more starch.
- Strain the sauce before use. At this point you can refrigerate the base until needed.
To finish the soufflé, make a meringue
- Clean the bowl and add the egg whites to the bowl and, with the Power Whisk, whisk on speed 6 until it has doubled in size and turned into soft peaks.
- Beat 1/3 of the meringue into the soufflé base then carefully fold the rest of the egg whites into the mixture.
- Spoon into the prepared ramekins, level off the mixture and wipe around the rim using your thumb. Place the ramekins into a preheated oven set at 190ºC/375°F/Gas 5 for 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.