Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 1¼ – 1½ hours
Tools: food processing attachment or high speed slicer shredder/liquidizer/K-beater
- Cook the rice in lightly salted boiling water for 25-30 minutes, until tender then drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile fit the food processing attachment with the knife blade and chop the onion and garlic or chop by hand. Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes. Chop the mushrooms either with the knife blade or by hand.
- Fit the coarse shredding plate to the food processing attachment or high speed slicer shredder and grate the carrot. Add to the frying pan with the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the thyme and seasoning.
- Using the cleaned coarse shredding plate grate the cheese and set aside. Add the bread cubes and nuts to the food processing attachment fitted with the knife blade or the liquidizer and process to make breadcrumbs and chop the nuts. Process in batches if necessary, if using the liquidizer.
- If using the food processing attachment add the rice, cooked vegetables and eggs to the breadcrumb mixture and process on pulse to blend together. If using the liquidizer, transfer the breadcrumb mixture to the Kenwood bowl, add the rice, vegetables and eggs and mix together using the K-beater.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Grease a 900g (2lb) loaf tin and line the base with greaseproof paper. Pack half the mixture in the tin, sprinkle over the cheese, top with the tomato slices and remaining mixture.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and firm to the touch. Cool slightly for 5-10 minutes then turn out on to a serving plate. Serve sliced with fresh tomato sauce.