Preparation time = 15mins
Cooking time = 20 mins (small)/ 45 mins (large)
Serves approx 20 large or 40 small
- Place the egg whites in the bowl and use the dual whisk on Auto to whisk until soft peaks form (approximately 60 seconds). Do not over whisk.
- Add the caster sugar a third at a time and mix on Auto until mixture is thick and glossy (approximately 30 seconds).
- Remove the whisk and add the almonds, icing sugar and vanilla extract to the bowl. Fit the folding tool and use speed 2 to fold the mixture (approximately 60 seconds). DO NOT over mix. Any unprocessed mix should be gently folded in by hand.
- Line two baking trays with silicone paper and pipe out the mix.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 140°C/275°F/Gas mark 1 for 20 minutes for the small macaroons and 45 minutes for the larger size.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before carefully removing from the silicone paper.
Variations: Chocolate – add 30g/1oz cocoa powder to the ground almonds.