This is a very simple recipe, perfect for either breakfast or dessert, and each component is adaptable depending on what you have on hand. You could use any fresh or dried fruit you like - dried apricots or dates would also be lovely in this recipe. The idea is for each spoonful to be subtly sweet, tangy, creamy and a little crunchy all at once.
For the rose water lemon shortbread pieces
- 120g butter, softened
- 45g icing sugar
- 150g flour
- 1 tbsp rose water
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
For the cups
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened full-fat Greek yoghurt
- ½ cup mascarpone
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 8 dried figs, stems removed and quartered
- 50g walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 50g pistachios, toasted and roughly chopped
- Handful dried edible rose petals (optional)
- First, make the rose water lemon shortbread. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and icing sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the flour, rose water, zest and sea salt, and combine until the mixture just comes together.
- Lay out a sheet of plastic wrap and place the dough onto it.
- Place another sheet of plastic wrap on top of the ball of dough, and using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a rectangle of about 1cm thickness.
- Place the wrapped cookie rectangle in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan bake. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the unwrapped rectangle of cookie dough onto the lined tray and bake for approximately 15 minutes until just golden around the edges.
- Let the cookie cool and firm on the baking tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Next, prepare the cups.
- Combine the yoghurt, mascarpone, honey and cardamom in a bowl.
- To assemble, use 4 short glasses. First spoon or pipe ½ of the yoghurt mixture into the bottom of each of the serving glasses.
- Next, layer over ½ of the dried fig quarters followed by ½ of the toasted chopped walnut pieces and half of the toasted chopped pistachios.
- Repeat the process by piping/spooning over the remaining yoghurt mixture and the rest of the figs and nuts.
- Finally, break the sheet of cookie up into shard shaped pieces and stick one into each cup. Scatter over some dried rose petals if using and serve immediately.
- If you have some shortbread left, store in an airtight container for up to one week.