Makes an 8” pie
Oven temp: 220 deg C
1 cup plain flour
½ cup self raising flour
¼ cup corn flour
¼ cup custard powder
1 tbsp caster sugar
100 gm butter
1 egg, separated
1/3 cup water, approx.
1 tbsp caster sugar (for pastry top)
1. Sift the flours, custard powder and sugar into bowl, rub in butter.
2. Add egg yolk and enough water to form a dough.
3. Press dough into a ball and knead light on floured surface.
4. Refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
5. Divide dough into 2 portions. Roll out one large enough to cover the base in an 8” pie plate.
6. Spoon cold apple filing into pastry. Brush edge of pastry with egg white.
7. Roll remaining pastry to cover over the filling. Press edge together, trim and pinch edge.
8. Decorate the edge. Brush with remaining egg white and sprinkle top with sugar.
9. Bake pie in hot oven for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to moderate and bake another 20 mins or until pastry is golden brown.
10 med apples (pref Granny Smith apples)
3 tbsp water
3 tbsp sugar
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp grated lemon rind
2 tbsp cornflour
To cook the Apple Filling
1. Peel, quarter, core and slice apples.
2. Combine apples in large pan with water, cover and simmer till apples are tender.
3. Stir in sugar, cinnamon and lemon rind and cornstarch. Cool before use.