300g plain flour
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
180g butter, softened
200g dark brown soft sugar
170g black treacle
2 tbsp whole milk
100g stem ginger, from a jar (approx. 6 balls), chopped
4 tbsp ginger syrup, from the same jar
Butter and flour for the tin
100g icing sugar
1 lemon, juiced
Handful pomegranate seeds
- 1. Preheat your oven to 180C, and generously butter and flour your bundt tin or use a non-stick baking spray.
- 2. Begin by sifting together the flour, spices, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl.
- 3. Add the butter and soft brown sugar to the bowl of your Kenwood Chef kitchen machine, fitted with the K beater. Set the machine to a medium speed for 5 minutes, beating the butter and sugar until smooth, pale and creamy.
- 4. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating between each addition. Add the treacle and milk and beat again. Add the sifted together dry ingredients and mix into the batter at a low speed. Finally add the chopped ginger and syrup, mixing on a low speed until just combined. Show head raised with mixture on.
- 5. Pour the batter into the prepared tin, and tap the tin sharply on the surface, to get rid of any air bubbles.
- 6. Bake in the prepared oven for 45mins-1hr, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- 7. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- 8. When completely cool, stir together the icing sugar with the lemon juice, and drizzle over the cake as desired. Finally, scatter over the pomegranate seeds.