Triple Layer Blackberry Sponge
This Triple Layer Blackberry Sponge cake is filled with a delicious sweet blackberry filling sandwiched between three light, fluffy cake layers.
- 300g unsalted butter, cubed and softened, plus extra for greasing
- 225g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 5 large eggs
- 300g golden caster sugar
- 75g ground almonds
- ½ orange, zest and juice
For the filling:
- 600ml double cream
- 325g blackberries
- 4 tbsp blackberry jelly
- Chef XL Sense mixing bowl
- K beater
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C, gas mark 4. Grease and line the bases of 3 x 18cm sandwich tins, then lightly flour the sides.
- Add the cake ingredients into the Chef XL Sense mixing bowl, fit the K beater and select speed 3, mix for 30 seconds until combined, then increase the speed to 4 until the mixture looks smooth and thoroughly combined (don’t worry if it looks slightly curdled). Divide the mixture equally between the tins and level the tops with a spatula.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden, risen and it springs back when touched. Remove from the oven, leave to cool in the tins slightly before removing the cakes from their tins and transferring to a wire rack; leave to cool completely.
- To make the filling add the cream to the Chef XL Sense mixing bowl, using the whisk tool whisk the cream at speed 5 until thickened (around 2-3 minutes). Fold in 75g of the blackberries gently to get the marbled look.
- Remove the parchment from the cakes. Put 1 cake on a plate and spread with 2 tbsp blackberry jelly and 1/3 of the blackberry cream. Scatter with 100g of the remaining blackberries. Top with another sponge and repeat the layers of jelly, cream and blackberries. Finish with the final cake. Spread the remaining blackberry cream on top and scatter with the remaining 150g blackberries.