Pancakes & Crepes
|Makes: 8 pancakes or crêpes ||Recipe course: Dessert ||Total time (min.): 20 plus standing|
Whether you prefer a thick, fluffy pancake or a thin and crispy crepe, both make a delicious breakfast option.
- 115g (4oz) plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 280ml (. pint) milk
- a little oil, for frying
- Place the flour and salt in the Kenwood Bowl. Add the egg and a quarter of the milk. Using the whisk at speed 1, mix until smooth. Gradually whisk in the remaining milk to make a smooth batter.
- Pour into a jug, cover and leave to stand for 30 minutes to allow the starch grains time to swell and soften and produce a lighter batter.
- Heat the minimum of oil in a 20cm (8 inch) heavy based frying pan or pancake pan. Pour in just enough batter to thinly coat the base of the pan. Swirl the batter around to coat the pan.
- Cook over a moderately high heat for about 1 minute, until light golden. Turn or toss the pancake, cook for 30 seconds, or until golden.
- Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter to make 8 pancakes, stacking them on top of each other with greaseproof paper in between. Keep the pancakes warm in the oven whilst cooking the remainder if serving immediately.
- Serve sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice or use according to the recipe.