Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Equipment: souffle dishes/ramekin dishes, deep sided roasting dish
- Heat the oven to 180°C and grease the inside of 6 soufflé/ramekin dishes with a little butter
- Heat the milk, onion and bay leaf to just below the boil, remove from the heat and leave to infuse for half an hour
- Add the butter, flour, mustard powder and paprika to a saucepan. Heat gently and add the milk mixture a little at a time, stirring constantly until it thickens.
- Cook for a couple of minutes then stir in half the cheese and the egg yolks. Season well and reserve.
- Attach the whisk and whisk the egg whites until very light and fluffy, but not too stiff. Remove the whisk and attach the creaming beater, gently fold the reserved mix into the eggs.
- Divide the mixture between the 6 souffle/ramekin dishes and place in a deep sided roasting tray. Fill the tray halfway with boiling water and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- When ready to finish the soufflés, heat the oven to 220°C.
- Turn them out onto a board and replace them in the soufflé/ramekin dishes upside down.
- Heat the cream in a saucepan, cover the soufflés with the remaining cheese and pour the cream over.
- Bake in the oven for a further ten minutes until risen and golden brown. Serve immediately.