2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
1 shallot, peeled, roughly chopped
1 clove of garlic
1/2 rib of celery, roughly chopped
1 inch piece of fresh giner, peeled, roughly chopped
1 lb organic carrots, peeled, roughly chopped
1 head fennel using white bulb only, quartered and cored
1 tsp ground coriander seed
3 1/2 cup vegetable stock
4 tbsp butter, cubed
salt and white pepper
8 oz American gulf shrimp, peeled, de-veined
Carrots are a popular spring vegetable that pair particularly well with ginger. Tossing in a few American gulf shrimp adds a lot of fun personality, while ensuring the dish is richly nutritious and flavorful. The Cooking Chef makes it easy to experiment with soups, stews and bisques and discover a variety of new flavor combinations to suit any palate.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Attachments: Cooking Chef Bowl, Flexi Beater, Stirring Tool, Heat Shield, Food Processor with Knife Blade, Slicing Discs and Thermo-Resist Blender
- Place the shallot, garlic, celery and giner in the Food Processor. Pulse until finely minced. Transfer to a bowl and reserve.
- Using the thinnest slicing blade in the Food Processor, slice the carrots and fennel. Reserve.
- Using the Flexi Beater, add oil to the Cooking Chef bowl, setting the dials to 285ºF, Speed #1. Heat through for 1 minute.
- Add in the reserved garlic, celery, ginger mix and cook 2 minutes on Speed #1 until soft, but not colored.
- Add in coriander powder and cook for 1 more minute. Then add in carrots, fennel, and 1 1/2 tsp salt and a grind of white pepper. Reduce to Speed #2 and cook 5 minutes, until vegetables soften.
- Add the vegetable broth, place on the Stirring Took, turn temperate down to 250ºF and reduce to Speed #3. Cook 10 minutes more, until vegetables soften with gentle pressure.
- Turn off the machine and carefully transfer contents of the bowl to the Thermo-Resist Blender. Puree 3 minutes on the highest speed. Push the P button to increase speed while blending until contents are smooth. Add cubed butter gradually during the last minute of blending, adding an additional teason of salt and squeeze of lemon, as well.
- Pour through a fine mesh stainer back into the cleaned Cooking Chef bowl, with (cleaned) Stirring Tool. Heat through at 190ºF, Speed #2, adjusting flavor to taste.
- Before serving, add in shrimp to soup and cook 5 minutes at the same speed, before plating and garnishing with olive oil, cracked black pepper and minced fresh chives.