1x 1 ½kg Chicken/guinea fowl
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
30ml Olive oil
115g Smoked bacon - chopped
1 Onion - finely chopped
2 Cloves garlic - crushed
1tbs Tomato puree
200g Small chantey carrots
200g Baby white turnips
2 Leeks - sliced
1 Sweet potato approximately 200g - small dice
½ tsp. Thyme
2 Bay leaves
2tsp Coarse grain mustard
400ml hot chicken stock
115g self raising flour
50g Vegetable suet
½ tsp. mixed herbs
¼ tsp. Salt
1. Portion the fowl into 4 pieces and coat in the seasoned flour, keep the remaining flour.
2. Heat 2/3 of the olive oil in a large frying add the bacon and the chicken .Brown on all sides
3. Transferee to the slow cooker.
4. Heat the remaining olive oil + the butter in the pan and fry off the onion and garlic for a few minutes.
5. Add any remaining flour off the heat and stir in the stock. . Return to the heat and stir till thickened.
6. Add all the vegetables, thyme and bay leaves to the ceramic bowl of the slow cooker and pour over the thickened stock mixture.
7. Cook on high for 1hrs.
8. Using a large spoon or tongs turns the chicken and stir the sauce.
9. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 2 hours more.
10. During the cooking time mix together the dumpling ingredients and roll into 8-10 small balls using floured hands.
11. At the end of cooking time pop the dumplings into the pot and turn the setting back up to high.
12. Cook dumpling for 35 –40 minutes.
13. Serve or keep warm till required.
1. Do not lift the lid of the cooker during the dumpling cooking time as this will cause them to loose air and sink, resulting in hhard dumplings instead of fluffy ones
2. You can use ready-portioned pieces of chicken / guinea fowls or ask the butcher to portion it for you.