- Toast half the sesame seeds in the oven or in a pan over a medium heat and set aside.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, fennel, anise, toasted sesame seeds and milk powder in the Kenwood bowl using the K-beater on a low speed.
- Add the water, vanilla, egg and clarified butter. Knead until the dough is smooth and pliable.
- Cover the dough and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Form the dough into small balls the size of walnuts.
- On a smooth surface, roll each ball into a small cylinder and seal the edges.
- Sprinkle with the remaining untoasted sesame seeds and arrange on a baking tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool then arrange on a serving plate.